Welcome back to Dollar Store Decadence recipes, where we cook gorgeous food made almost entirely with gems we find at the dollar store. This time we’re making some hearty Cheeseburger Soup! You only need two pots for this! All items came from the 99 Cents Only Store besides the ground beef and the Velveeta. I purchased those at Northgate Gonzalez Market. The flour, salt and pepper are staples so I won’t count them in the overall tally. Plus, I don’t think I have the mental fortitude to do the math for 3 tablespoons of flour. That’s just cray.
What you need:
1 1/2 cups of chopped carrots
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 pound Velveeta, cut in blocks
1 lb ground beef
7-8 yellow potatoes
3 cans chicken broth
3 TBSP flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Brown the ground beef in a larger pot and drain. Season to taste. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the large pot and sauté the onion and celery until they are translucent.
- In a separate pot, boil the carrots and potatoes until they’re al dente.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, beef and chicken broth to the pot and mix them well. Bring to a boil and then cover the pot and simmer until the potatoes are as tender as you want them to be.
- Add the Velveeta, and milk. Continue to simmer until the cheese is melted.
- Add the flour in one Tbsp at a time, mixing well in order to thicken the soup. You can add more or less depending on how thick you like your soup.
- Finally, turn off the stove and add the sour cream and mix well.
So let’s talk moolah…I’m still trying to figure out a good format for this part.
Carrots…I used about 1/3 of a pack of baby carrots from the 99 Cents Only Store – 33¢
Celery…I used 2 stalks from a bunch I bought at the 99 (say there were 8 stalks total) – 25¢
Yellow Onion…as uzh from a pack of four from the 99 – 25¢
Milk…I bought a gallon for $2.99 at the 99. 1/2 cup – 9¢
Sour Cream…also from the 99 – 25¢
Butter (I used margarine) came from a 4 pack from the 99. Half a stick…- 13¢
Velveeta was the most expensive thing on my list at $4.99. The recipe used half – $2.50
Ground Beef was $3.21
Yellow Potatoes came from a 5lb bag from the 99. I used about half – 50¢
Chicken Broth also came from the 99 – $2.98
Flour, salt and pepper are staples so I didn’t add them to the calculation.
Ok so, this recipe feeds AT LEAST 10 people. It makes a huge pot. So the total for the recipe is…drum roll please….$10.49. That is $1.04 per person! Great price amirite???
Anywho, try the recipe and see how you like it. The guys in my house loved it and so did I and at that price, you can’t beat it!