Welcome back to Dollar Store Decadence recipes, where we cook gorgeous food made almost entirely with gems we find at the dollar store. This time we’re making some hearty Roasted Lemon Chicken with Red Potatoes and Green Beans adapted from Real Simple. You only need one pan and one bowl to cook this! We’re gonna use our dollar store magic and make this super affordable but still delicious. All items except the chicken came from the 99 Cents Only Store. I purchased that at Northgate Gonzalez Market. The olive oil, salt and pepper are staples so I won’t count them in the overall tally. Okay, allons-y!
What you need:
6 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Lemons, sliced
4 Chicken Breast halves
2 Tsp Cloves Minced Garlic
3 Medium Red Potatoes, cut into large chunks
1/2 pound Green Beans, trimmed
Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450° and coat the bottom of your pan with 1 TBSP of olive oil.
- Layer the lemon slices on the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl, mix the rest of the olive oil with the garlic and salt and pepper.
- Add the green beans and toss in the olive oil mixture until they are coated. Remove them from the bowl, making sure to leave as much of the mixture in the bowl as possible. Put the green beans on top of the lemon slices.
- Repeat the last step with the potatoes, placing them around the edge of the pan.
- Repeat with the chicken, tossing them in the olive oil mixture and placing on top of the green beans. At this point you may want to add more salt and pepper or seasoning.
- Place your food in the oven and roast for 50 minutes et that’s all folks!
Time to talk about the cost
Chicken Breasts*, I bought at Northgate Gonzalez Market – $3.38
Lemons, were from a large bag from the 99 – 25¢
Minced Garlic was from the 99 as well. The jar has 45 servings of 1 Tsp – 2¢
Red Potatoes came from a 5lb bag at the 99 – 25¢
Green Beans were from a 1lb bag from the 99 – 50¢
This recipe feeds 4 people. The total cost for this recipe was $4.40. That’s $1.10 per serving. A lot of bang for the buck!
Try it and let me know how it turned out!