Well hello and welcome back to Dollar Store Decadence Recipes where we make yummy things made almost entirely of ingredients from 99 Cents Only Stores. This time I made a Shrimp and Bacon Chowder, adapted from Delish. It so easy and doesn’t require a gazillion ingredients and most importantly, it’s quite tasty. So let’s get started.
What you need:
1lb Shrimp, peeled and deveined
12 oz Bacon, diced
1 Onion, diced
3 TBsp all-purpose flour
3 Cups Chicken Broth (or stock if you have it)
2 Cups Half and Half
2 Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 Cup Chopped Green Onions
Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cook the bacon until it is crisp and then remove it and set it aside.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook (in the bacon fat) until they are soft. Stir in the flour until it is well-combined.
- Add the chicken broth, half and half, green onions, potatoes and salt and pepper. Simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the shrimp and continue to simmer until the shrimp is cooked through and finally add the cooked bacon.
- Optional: reserve some green onions and bacon to garnish. Totally not necessary though!
- Eat! Some other options are to serve this with Furlani Garlic Toast, or add a little shredded cheese!
Let’s talk about the scrilla:
Shrimp was from Northgate, $6.08
Bacon was from the 99 $1.99
1 Onion (from a 99 4 pack) 25¢
Chicken Broth from a 4 cup container from the 99 75¢
Half and Half came from the 99 as well 99¢
Potatoes came out of a 10lb bag from the 99 ~20¢
Green onions (from Northgate) $1.00
So this is one of the more expensive meals, but it makes 8 servings so it is a good one. The total cost of the meal is $11.26, so about $1.40 per serving. That’s still a great price for a seafood meal.
What do you think? Try it and let me know how it goes!