Hello and welcome back to Dollar Store Decadence Recipes, where we cook good food that it almost entirely made of ingredients from the 99. This time I made a Honey Garlic chicken recipe, adapted from Tip Hero. Everything for this recipe, except for the chicken itself can be found at the 99. So without further ado, leggo:
What you need:
1lb of Chicken, cut in large chunks
1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Honey
1 1/2 TBsp Sriracha Sauce
2 1/2 Tsp Minced Garlic
1 TBsp Sesame Seeds
1 1/2 Cups White Rice
Optional: Sliced Green Onions
- Preheat your oven to 375° and cook the rice.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Be careful not to use too much salt.
- Taking a few pieces at a time, dip your chicken into the eggs and then the panko and set them on a parchment or aluminum foil-lined cookie sheet. Continue until they are all coated and then bake them for 20-25 minutes until they are cooked through.
- While the chicken is in the oven, combine the honey, soy sauce, garlic and Sriracha in a small saucepan and bringing to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Once the chicken is done, pour the sauce over it coating it evenly.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on as well as green onions if you are using them. Serve over your rice.
- Voila! C’est fini! Now it’s time to eat!
Let’s talk finances:
Chicken was $1.99
Panko was from the 99 and I used about 75% of it so we’ll add 75¢
Eggs were from an 18 pack at the 99 that costs $1.79 so that’s 18¢
Soy Sauce… 50¢
Honey from the 99…50¢
I used Crying Tiger sriracha sauce that I found at the 99…10¢
Minced Garlic from the 99 as well… 6¢
Rice again from the 99… 75¢
Sesame seeds were 99¢ as well for the whole package…10¢
This recipe makes four servings. The total cost is $4.93, which comes out to $1.23 per serving. This is a full meal so that makes it even better! I love it when meals come out to be less than $1.50 per person. I also love making meals that seem fancy but are really inexpensive. Pow!
Anywho, try it and let me know how it goes!