Hello guys and dolls, and welcome back to the show! As normal, I like to cook good food, made almost entirely of ingredients that I can find at 99 Cents Only Stores. This time I made Loaded Potato Soup, from scratch, a recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven. Great news…this recipe is made ENTIRELY of items from the 99! Whew! Flour is a staple so I won’t count it toward the total. So without further ado, let’s get started!
What you need:
6-8 Potatoes, diced
6 Slices of Bacon, diced
1 Cup Diced Onion
1/4 Cup Flour
2 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Cups Milk
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
Green Onions, chopped
- In a large pot, cook the diced bacon until it’s crispy then remove it from the pot and set it aside.
- Using the bacon grease left in the pot, cook the onions until they are soft.
- Add the flour to the onions, stirring frequently to make a roux.
- Next, add the chicken broth, milk, and potatoes. Mix well and simmer over medium heat.
- Once the potatoes are soft, add the cheese, sour cream and bacon and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with green onions, extra cheese or extra bacon; whatever you prefer.
Let’s talk moolah:
Everything in this recipe came from the 99 so that makes it easy.
Potatoes – 25¢
Bacon – 99¢
Onion – 33¢
Chicken Broth – 79¢
Milk – 62¢
Cheddar – 50¢
Sour Cream – 50¢
Green Onions – 25¢
So the total for this recipe is $4.23. This recipe makes 6 servings, which means it comes out to a minuscule 70¢ per serving. Wow! And it’s delicious!
As uzh, try it out and let me know how it goes.