Hey y’all, it’s recipe time ! Whew! I like to make recipes made nearly entirely of items that can be found at 99 Cents Only Stores. This time I made Chicken Tortilla Soup from scratch, adapted from Averie Cooks. So let’s go!
What you need:
1lb Chicken, shredded
10 Corn Tortillas
1 Cup Onion, diced
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tsp Minced Garlic
4 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
1 Can Black Beans
1 Can Corn
1 Lime, juiced
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 Tsp Cumin
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Optional toppings: cheese, sour cream, avocado
- Preheat oven to 375º. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Put the tortilla strips on the sheet and toss with 2 Tbsp of olive oil and salt. Spread them out as evenly as possible.
- Bake the strips until they are golden brown and crispy, about 15 minutes.
- To start the soup, add the other 2 Tbsp of olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until they are soft and then add the garlic for about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, black beans, chicken, corn, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with the tortilla strips on top. Yum!
- Eat! We ate ours with a little cheese and sour cream on top.
Let’s talk cash money:
The Chicken came from Walmart, the last in the pack from Walmart – $3.34
Tortillas – 33¢
Onion – 25¢
Minced Garlic – 4¢
Chicken Broth – $1.98
Diced Tomatoes – $1.98
Black Beans – 79¢
Corn – 79¢
Lime – 10¢
Okay, the olive oil, cumin and chili powder won’t count in the final tally; the amounts are so small and these are staples. Anywho, the total for the entire pot of soup comes to $9.60. This recipe makes 10 servigs, so the amount comes to 96¢ per serving! Whoohoo!