Hey party people, of course here I am the day AFTER Taco Tuesday posting this recipe, but alas, here we are. The great thing is that you can make this anytime! Whew! Okay so this time I made Taco Pie, and it is basically a more robust and delicious copycat recipe of the Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell. It’s super tasty and it makes TWO pies, so without further ado, allons-y!
What you need:
1 lb Ground Turkey (or beef, up to you)
1 Cup Onion, diced
3 Tsp Minced Garlic
1 TBsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Tsp Paprika
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Can of Refried Beans
4 Burrito-sized flour tortillas
1 Cup Salsa
2 Cups Shredded Cheese
1/2 Cup Tomatoes, diced
1/2 Cup Green Onions, diced
Optional: Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375° and either grease or spray two pie plates with cooking spray.
- In a skillet, brown the meat and season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onions are soft.
- Take two tortilla and place one in each pie dish, flat on the bottom with the edges sticking up along the sides of the pan.
- Spread half the beans evenly over one tortilla and the other half on your second tortilla and then do the same with the meat mixture.
- Cover each pie with a second tortilla and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tortillas are slightly brown and crispy.
- Spread salsa on top of each pie and then sprinkle cheese, tomatoes and green onions on top. Bake for another few minutes, until the cheese is as melty as you like!
Let’s talk shmoney:
I’m not gonna try to add up the costs of the spices. They all came from the 99 so it would end up being a few cents each; you can add that on if you want 🙂
Ground turkey – $3.99
Onion was from a pack of pre-diced ones from the 99- 25¢
Minced Garlic – 12¢
Refried Beans – 99¢
Tortillas came from Stater Bros in a pack of 12 for $1.79 – 60¢
Salsa from the 99 – 50¢
Shredded cheese from the 99 – 99¢
Tomato, I used two from an 8 pack at the 99 – 25¢
Green onion from the 99 – 25¢
Okay so this recipe makes two pies that each serve 4 people. The total cost for both pies is $7.94, which comes out to 99¢ per serving! Whew!
As always, try this one and let me know what you think!