Hey y’all, so this time I am making a gorgeous and delicious and CHEAP meal. It’s a Sour Cream Enchilada Casserole that only uses one pan! Amazing, right? I found this recipe on Heather Likes Food. Super easy and doesn’t take much time. So here we go:
What you need:
1 lb Chicken Breast, shredded
3 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1/8 Tsp Chili Powder
1/4 Tsp Oregano
1 4oz Can Chopped Green Chiles
1 4oz can Chopped Black Olives
1 Cup Sour Cream
15 Corn tortillas, cut into smaller pieces
1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar
Salt, to taste
- First things, first. Cook your chicken how you like it. I personally like to boil mine with seasonings for at least one hour, but two hours is preferable. After it is done, shred it!
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the flour, whisking until it is well incorporated.
- Pour in the chicken broth and cook until it has thickened and is smooth.
- Next, add the chili powder, oregano, green chiles and black olives to the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in your sour cream until well incorporated.
- Add the chicken and tortilla pieces to the pot and mix well.
- Finally sprinkle the cheese over it all and cover with the lid until it is gooey and melty. Optionally, add some parsley flakes to the top. I think parsley just makes it look super nice. But totally up to you!
Let’s talk about the Benjamins:
The chicken came from Northgate and was $2.79
Butter was from the 99 – 37¢
Chicken Broth – 50¢
Green Chiles from Stater Bros – $2.79
Black Olives – 50¢
Sour cream – 99¢
Tortillas – 50¢
Shredded Cheese – 99¢
This recipe makes six servings and the overall price for this lovely meal is $9.43. That is $1.57 per serving. Yikes! I like those numbers! I didn’t count the tiny amounts of spices, but they can all be bought at the 99 so the amounts are completely negligible.
As uzh, try it out and let me know what you think!